Well, guess what–it came true.
The following timeline is disgustingly true, and a perfect example of 1) why never to travel with me, 2) how to sweat. a LOT., 3) why jinxing oneself is VERY possible, 4) why I cry when I’m alone.
- 8:00am: wake up, finish packing, begin sweating
- 9:00am: leave apartment with 100 lbs. of climbing/camping gear, sweating
- 9:01am: realize I forgot to pay for final 2 nights in apartment, turn around
- 9:01am: turn back around, realizing I’ve given said apartment my climbing rope
- 9:01am-9:30am: walk to bus station
- 9:30am-9:40am: wait for bus, find correct bus, board bus, sweating profusely
- 9:45am: watch the person who sat beside me decide to stand in the aisle instead of sitting next to my sweaty self
- 10:00am: 100 degrees
- 10:00am-12:00pm: ride bus, allow sweat to settle into vinyl seat/cotton shirt
- 12:00pm: exit bus in the rain, get lost, find restaurant, struggle to order food after 2 months in Asia, eat
- 12:15pm-12:50pm: get lost in a downpour with 100 lbs. of backpacks trying to find train station in Guilin, China
- 12:50pm: arrive at train station after unsuccessfully asking 5+ people where the train station is, sit outside as the rain subsides, begin sweating
- 12:50pm-1:10pm: freak out from near heat stroke, enter train station, find correct platform
- 1:10pm-2:30pm: wait for train, sit as still as possible to stop sweating, eat 99% of the food I’ve brought for the 25 hour train ride
- 2:30pm: finally figure out that everyone has returned to seats because train is delayed by 2 hours
- 4:30pm: be continually pushed aside as Chinese continue their favorite Chinese custom: ignoring/not having any semblance of organization or lines and disrespecting foreigners with climbing gear
- 4:32pm: fight my way through hordes of running Chinese people to car #12, seat 14 (top of triple-bunk), drip sweat all over everyone trying to arrange my enormous gear bags
- 4:32pm-6:00pm on Day 2: lay on top bunk, with face 6″ from ceiling, staring, starving, and SWEATING. For 26 HOURS!
Part 1 total: 34 hours